In your top five list of things you don’t look forward to during a move, packing is always one of them. It’s a daunting task and one that many put off until the last minute. Here are a few stress-free packing tips for your upcoming move:
- Downsize: Moving is the perfect excuse to downsize your belongings. Be ruthless and honest. Do you really need five black cardigans? When was the last time you used that spiralizer? Make a pile of items to donate and packing will be that much simpler.
- Break It Up: You don’t have to do all the packing at once. In fact, we would never advise that. Pick a room and focus on that one until it’s done. We like to make schedules of when we are going to focus on specific rooms. It’s that much easier to stick to a plan when it’s written out and you feel like you don’t have to get it all done in one sitting.
- Enlist Help: Ask your friends to help a night or two. Buy takeout, open a bottle of wine and make it a packing party. Packing is always more fun with friends.
- Don’t Skimp On Supplies: There’s nothing worse than boxes that rip or packing tape that keeps on getting stuck on itself. Don’t buy the cheap packing tape or labels for your boxes. It will make the packing and unpacking process that much easier.
- Lighter Is Better Than Heavier: It’s easy to try and pack as much as you can into one box, but the last thing you want is that box breaking open and spilling its contents all over the place.
- When In Doubt, Pay Professionals: If you want to make sure your items arrive in one piece, hire movers or professional packers to pack for you. That way, if something is damaged during a move, they’ll cover the cost of replacement.
Packing may seem like an overwhelming task, but for our team at Fini, it’s one of our favorite things todo! Contact Fini Concierge to simplify your upcoming move with our Simplified Moves program.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2018 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.